Saturday, July 25, 2015

A new tool!

One of our assignments this week is to try something new and expend our digital literacy skills.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I don't have a very good record with video production and editing, however I'm not quite ready to go there (though I do have an idea of what I might try).   I am quite comfortable with static imagery, and really like visual representations of information.  It seemed logical then to create some sort of visual to go along with our class content.

Last night I searched for sites where one could create an infographic, but I wasn't happy with the options I found.  Fortunately I came across mention of Canva while poking around the US Digital Literacy site (there's a gold mine!)

Then I made something.



During our first week we looked at Doug Belshaw's Eight Elements of Digital Literacy, and I loved his graphic based on the periodic table.



When we started talking about Rheingold's literacies, my mind wanted to see everything in a way that I could easily compare them and think about how they overlapped or differed - but there was no quick visual available for Rheingold's list.

Until now!

I think I'll get some good mileage out of Canva.  It was very easy to use and I can already think of specific needs I have for upcoming presentations at work.  I'm glad I discovered it!

If you're interested in visual representations of  information, I recommend Information is Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment